Petroleum geologists, geophysicists, exploration managers, and research geologists.
An introductory course to the role of organic geochemistry in the exploration and development phases. The course consists of a series of lectures followed by practice exercises.
- Origin of fossil fuels
- Factors influencing source-rock deposition
- Kerogen formation, composition, and conversion to hydrocarbons
- Thermal models for hydrocarbon formation
- Bitumen and petroleum, formation composition, and transformations
- Migration of hydrocarbons
- Analytical techniques for kerogen, bitumen, petroleum and natural gas
- Source rock evaluation and data interpretation
- Correlation techniques
- Case studies